Dr. David Bernitsky, one of New Mexico’s leading LASIK surgeons, takes great care to identify if you are a good candidate for LASIK vision correction. Like any surgery, LASIK vision correction procedure carries some risks. However, identifying your candidacy ahead of time will help to reduce the risks associated with LASIK surgery.
Overall Health Risks
LASIK vision correction procedure is completed in a single visit to our Albuquerque office, and you will be able to go home the same day (although you will need someone else to drive you). Most people return to their normal activities within a day or two and experience minimal pain.
Eye Health and Vision Risks
Most of the risks associated with LASIK vision correction are related to eye health and/or changes in your vision. Risks of surgery include:
- Infection—just like any surgery, there is a risk of infection increases in the healing stages after LASIK vision correction surgery.
- Dry eyes—dry eyes is a common side effect of surgery as tear production is naturally decreased for about six months following the procedure. In some cases, tear production may not return to normal after the full recovery period.
- Halos, glares or starbursts—some people who undergo LASIK have reported trouble focusing on bright lights, particularly in dim conditions (like during night driving).
- Undercorrection, overcorrection or astigmatism—the LASIK procedure may result in vision correction stronger or weaker than what was needed for your best vision. Additional surgeries or corrective lenses may be needed to correct resulting or residual vision issues.
- Return of vision to pre-corrected state—your eyes will continue to naturally age, and for some people, that means that the effects of LASIK vision corrections are not permanent.
Proper post-operative care is essential to minimize the risks for infection or vision problems after LASIK surgery. The staff at Bernitsky Vision make sure you are informed of the proper care routines and products you will need for the best LASIK results.
Put Your Vision in Experienced Hands
Dr. Bernitsky has performed more than 20,000 LASIK procedures and offers FDA-approved technology, which helps to provide patients with a great vision correction experience. To find out if LASIK surgery is the best option for your vision correction needs, please contact us.
To schedule a FREE laser vision correction consultation with Dr. Bernitsky, call 505-323-0800 or contact us online today.
Our Focus is You